Monday, April 4, 2011

My Tubal Reversal Surgery

I want to tell you what my tubal reversal surgery was like because most women are interested in what the surgery entails, and how much pain is involved as well as healing time. 

My reversal was scheduled on a Friday. The office was three hours away and my husband and I drove up a little early to check into the hotel and find our way around.  I had to be there the day before for a pre op appointment.  If I had lived closer, I could have come to that appointment ahead of time.  The doctor had me do some blood work, and then he did a vaginal ultrasound.  He made sure that everything looked ok, and that there would be no major surprises when he got inside the next day.  It was actually a really neat appointment.  He did the ultrasound on a big screen and I was able to see my uterus and ovaries in a way that I have never seen before.  You could even see the follicles on my ovaries.  Pretty cool if you ask me.  The doctor discussed the surgery with me, and answered all of my questions.  I told him that I was so excited to get this done, and he said, "I am so excited to do it for you."  I could tell he genuinely meant it.  Every one in the office seemed liked they loved their jobs.  And why shouldn't they?  They are helping women to create an new life, or at least make them feel like they are getting their life back.

The next day I had to arrive at an outpatient surgery center at 6am.  We stayed in a hotel just down the street so we were just minutes away.  I was so excited, but not really nervous because the doctor was so calm and reassuring at the pre op appointment.  They checked me in, and my hubby helped me get into a gown and into a hospital bed.  The nurse took my temperature, and blood pressure.  She started me on an antibiotic IV drip.  The next to come in was the anesthesiologist.  He asked a few questions and noted that I seemed really relaxed.  Everyone was there early and so surgery started a little earlier than my original 7:30 am scheduled time. 

Everyone seemed so happy and relaxed.  It wasn't at all like my csection.  And I didn't have any concern for a baby like you do during  a surgery for birth.  The nurse and anesthesiologist wheeled me down the hall, and they joked about each others hospital bed driving abilities.  My doctor walked in immediately and noticed my hand on my right side (where I had been hurting) and said," We're going to take care of that today".  He then told the staff that they were to save my filshie clips because I wanted to keep them.  He held his hands up to his ears and joked about how I wanted to make earrings out of the clips.  I laughed.  I felt good.  Relaxed to know that everyone looked to bright and cheery.  The anesthesiologist gave me something in the IV and said it would relax me.  I laughed and told him I was already relaxed.  They had me scoot over on the operating table, and put a mask on my face and told me to breathe.  That's the last I remember.

The next thing I know, I was hearing the nurse's voice saying my husband was coming in.  She asked if I was in pain, and there was a little bit of pain.  I said so and she gave me some Demerol.  I was groggy from the general anesthesia.  Once I woke up more, they helped me get dressed.  I was a little nauseous for a few minutes from the anesthesia, but it passed.  They put me in a wheelchair, and wheeled me to the car.  We went back to the hotel, and I took a couple of vicoden and some Motrin.  I was afraid of the walk from the car to the room, but it wasn't bad as long as I went slowly.  My husband helped me get into bed.  I laid there feeling so glad that it was finally over.  So relieved that the filshie clips were out.  My husband looked over at me and told me that I looked so content.  I felt content, and relieved. I watched a little bit of TV, and I was so hungry.  Even though I wasn't supposed to eat anything heavy, I had a gigantic sandwich!  I wasn't in hardly any pain, I could move around much better than after the csection.  It was really more of a soreness, kind of like you had been hit in the abdomen.  I was so surprised at how well I could move.  But here's the best part - the pain that I had lived with for 14 months, the pain that I felt even through pain killers and pain injections, was finally gone.  The reversal was the best choice that I could have made for myself.

The next day the doctor met me back at his office (on a sat!) so that I wouldn't have to come back for a post op visit.  We went over everything, and he said that the surgery went great.  Both tubes were open, he didn't find any surprises.  He gave me a little baggie with my filshie clips inside.  I was great to see them because then I knew for sure they were out!  My doctor said that I needed to avoid lifting anything over 15 pounds for 4 weeks, that I could have sex again at 2 weeks (if I felt up to it), and to just generally take it easy for the next couple of weeks.  He had me take an extra vicoden for the ride home so that I would stay comfortable.

We drove home and I wasn't in any pain.  I'm sure I would have been sore if it wasn't for the medication, but the pain pills kept me more than comfortable.  That being said, I was glad to be home, to crawl in my own bed and take a nap.  I slept for about 6 hours or so after arriving home, got up had some dinner and a shower and went back to bed.  The next week went by pretty fast.  I did nap a lot, and continued to take the pain meds, but around day 5 I just went to Motrin only.  By day 7, I was in the grocery store shopping for food, but others carried the bags to the car, and into the house.  By day 10 I felt fantastic! 

Right around this point I had signs of ovulation, and for the first time I didn't need to curl up in a ball and cry.  It was great.  A couple of weeks later I started my period, with no cramps, no heavy bleeding.  It was a normal cycle 4 days long.  I was so thrilled.  No more 10 day long heavy periods!  The only thing I noticed was that when I first started there was a little bit of burning pain equal on both sides right where I imagine my tubes were put back together.  It only lasted a minute and then it was gone.  A little weird, but that was right as I was starting, and maybe it was caused by a uterine contraction or something. 

A couple of days ago was the 6 week mark for me.  I still feel good.  My incision looks like I got a little scratch, I'm pain free, and I get to have great sex with the hubby again.  The anxiety is gone.  I have taken the kids to the park, and out for walks.  My sixth grader just went to camp this morning and that would have sent me into a panic attack a couple of months ago.  But now I know she'll have fun.  No worries.  All in all, it was a much easier experience than I had anticipated.  If you are considering having tubal reversal surgery, I wouldn't be worried about it too much.  Find a doctor you are comfortable with, who is experienced with the micro surgical repair of the fallopian tubes, and go for it!  I'm so glad I did. :)

6 comments:

  1. Some people think that IVF treatment is best option no doubt it is best and effective but also expensive while the tubal reversal cost is cheaper and effective than the IVF treatment. So i always suggest tubal reversal surgery to get pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are considering having tubal change surgery treatment, I wouldn't be concerned about it too much.
    tubal reversal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Setting up to get a tubal reversal. Was curious who your doctor was? Im getting mine done by Dr Bergenfield in Houston @ Rosenfeld. Nervous but so ready to get the filshie clips removed and being able to concieve again if I like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great story regarding Tubal Reversal surgery. I will just say best of luck for your success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this procedure done 6 months ago and im always feeling like crap. I miss alot of work due to it i have a dr appt in a couple weeks but i dont understand what do you mean the tubes are already damaged and will need a reversal my dr told me he only put the clamps on that he didnt tie or burn them so does that mean he just removes the clamps and its done?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello everyone, I was infected with the herpes virus and I got cured of the herpes virus few months ago after i contacted Dr Ekpiku. I saw a post on the internet after i have seek healing for several years from different doctors in California. I sent the Doctor a request for help, just a few email i followed his instruction and he sent me the medication after i paid him. Now i am negative and i referred him to all my friend who had this same sickness and they have gotten their cure too. You can contact him via his email. Ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com or Ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com Phone call: +2348073673757. While i was on his medication i understood that he can also cure HERPES, HIV/AIDS, CANCER, Male/female menopause, Miscarriage, Menstruation problems, PREGNANCY PROBLEM, EPILEPSY, GONORRHEA, LASSA FEVER, OBESITY, KIDNEY FAILURE, HYPERTENSION, FIBROID TUMOR and many more.

    ReplyDelete